Dear Larry Craig:
Now you know what it’s like.
I don’t say this in a mean way, I’m just pointing out a simple fact: Now you know what it’s like.
You already knew what it’s like to be terrified of being found out. You already knew what it’s like to hide who you are. But like millions of other Americans, now you know what it’s like:
* To lose a job because of your sexuality
* To be entrapped and then busted for inviting consensual, adult sex
* To be told you don’t belong where you know you do belong
* To suddenly be seen as totally different because of one private thing
* To be told that your sexual interest is the only important thing about you
* To be told that your “perversion” is the only important thing about you
* To be an acceptable butt of jokes, with no moral standing to protest
* To suddenly have your rights taken away even though you didn’t hurt anyone
* To go from being one of “us” to one of “them,” even though you haven’t changed
This has been the typical experience of millions of gay and straight American men and women for over a century. They’ve been bullied, beaten, and banished. They’ve been treated like some repulsive “other.” Just because they liked sex with or loved someone of the same gender.
Just like you.
As you know, it still goes on today. People losing custody of their kids because they’re into S/M; people losing their jobs because they appear nude on the internet; people losing their scholarships, apartments, or rights as athletes because they work at a strip club. People losing their cherished American freedoms because their private, consensual sexual activity makes some busybody or person in charge uncomfortable.
Let’s put aside the fact that you’ve energetically fostered America’s atmosphere of self-righteous hatred against non-conforming private sexual expression.
Now that you know what it’s like to live in—and be punished in—this environment, won’t you speak out? Won’t you stop saying “I’m being persecuted by mistake” and instead say, “No one should be persecuted”?
Larry Craig, this is your chance to stand up for real American values and be a true American hero. With every camera and tape recorder in America aimed at you, you have a unique, historical chance to make a difference.
If you’ve ever wanted to serve your nation, your time has finally come.
Technorati: sexual freedom, sexual repression, censorship, sexual intelligence, sexual censorship, sexual politics, war on sex, America’s war on sex, sexual rights, sex education, pornography